I am pleased to share some of my latest work.
I bought a wooden file cabinet (in need of a bit of TLC) from an estate sale and wanted to do something completely new and unexpected. I have been chalk painting but didn't want to do that this time around. Just in time I received my package from General Finishes that included two colors of their milk paint and a can of High Performance Topcoat in a flat finish. Of course I had to open the paint right away (it was like an early Christmas present!)
As the cabinet had been in not so great shape I first had to wash it. (Because you just never know what's in there when it's been sitting and unused for a while.
Now the fun begins!
Woohoo - I opened the can of Linen color milk paint and loved it....but was it going to be a nice paint to work with? Oh yes it was! It went on so smooth and didn't drag like some other paints I have used. (Not sure if drag would be the technical term but the brush just flowed like it was skating on ice.)
I did two coats of the paint, it really covered well and I could have gotten away with one coat but I think I am so used to doing at least two coats I was stuck in that rut.
Anyhow, after the paint had dried, I did rough measurements for line placement but wasn't too concerned that they be an exact distance from one another. This is a fun plaid and I wanted it to be unstructured. After the markings were in place I drew a bunch (that is a technical term!) of ideas for plaids using colored pencils. I always like navy and red-burgundy together so those were my starting points.
I used flat artist brushes to do the lines....I got a rhythm going so that I could make the plaid come together in a way that I liked. It is a lot of tedious work but I was glad I took my time because where the lines intersect you are able to see that they do.
After a few days of painting lines, it came together the way I envisioned. For the topcoat I decided to use the flat finish High Performance Topcoat that I got from General Finishes. I used a plastic spoon to stir it and then used the spoon to put it into a separate container (so that I didn't somehow contaminate the topcoat in the can in case any paint transferred to the brush). I used about 20 teaspoons per coat of the topcoat. You sure don't need a lot of this to get good coverage. I did two coats and am so happy with the results.
A shout out to General Finishes https://generalfinishes.com This is my first experience using their products (and actually my first experience with milk paint!) I am more than happy with the quality and ease of application. Guess what is on my list to Santa now???
You know that I use a styrofoam head sometimes but it lacks a real neck so sometimes I will hang a scarf on a hanger with a shirt/sweater as the background but this time I used a real model. She is a but shy so I cut her head off...don't worry, only for the picture!
This is a double strand acrylic yarn wrap scarf. I did a nice ribbing detail (my own design) and knit for days and days til I finished it. (Ok, I knew it would take a while so I am not really complaining). It is secured with four wooden buttons and I made yarn loops to put around the buttons. It is really toasty warm to wear.
That's it for now, I have more projects on the go and also some of the ones I have recently completed can't be posted on-line until after Christmas as they are for gifts.
You can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or
find me on Facebook at Handcrafted Projects by Sue Lane
I am also on Pinterest so follow me! I will add my new projectst to the "My Creations" board soon. http://www.pinterest.com/sue_montgomery/
Thanks for looking!